Valbuena: "I wouldn’t have done this to my worst enemy"
Mathieu Valbuena has spoken for the first time since the ‘sex-tape case’ broke. He spoke to French daily, Le Monde and transmits his disdain towards Karrm Benzema.
After giving evidence last Friday as part of the ongoing ‘sex-tape affair’, Lyon player, Mathieu Valbuena spoke to the media for the first time since the story broke, giving an exclusive interview to French daily, Le Monde where he makes no secrets of his disappointment with Karim Benzema for his role in the affair. “I can’t defend the indefensible. I wouldn’t have done this to my wortst enemy”, affirmed Valbuena making reference to Benzema’s telephone call with childhood friend, Karim Zenati.
Valbuena confirmed that the Real Madrid player tried to act as a go-between between Valbuena and Zenati. "In the first discussions, I said to Karim : Did you see that, Cissé had a similar situation in 2008'. And he replied : 'And what, he paid up?'. I replied : 'Yes, he paid up'. He answered: 'So did the video go public?'. I told him that it didn’t. He told me on more than one occasion that blackmailers were thugs and he replied : The video is hot. I know what I would do with a family and everything…one has to be strong'. He also told me : 'If you don’t want them to go with the video, I can introduce you to my friend'. I am really disappointed. At the end of the conversation, Benzema asked me : 'What do I do? Do I give them your number? Will I give you theirs?', explained Valbuena making reference to the conversation he had with the Madrid player at the French base in Clairefontaine on October 5.
However when the discussion arose between Benzema and his friend Zenati, Valbuena was annoyed. “I was disappointed, really disappointed. His words show a lack of respect. I respect everyone, but this story portrays me as a fool. He concluded: “I am only really, really disappointed and I now realize that my relationship with Karim (Benzema) was not as genuine as he would have had me believe”.
A source in the investigation said that Benzema had admitted approaching Valbuena about the sex tape “on behalf of a childhood friend” who himself had been contacted by blackmailers. The “friend” has a previous conviction for armed robbery.
The gang are said to have threatened to release the tape ahead of the Euro 2016 tournament in France next year unless he paid €150,000 . It allegedly featured intimate footage of Valbuena with his partner shot on his mobile phone. Charged with complicity to blackmail and conspiring to commit a criminal act, which carry a maximum prison sentence of at least five years, Bernzema was discharged from police custody on November 5.