AC Milan CEO Adriano Galliani has confirmed that Ricardo Kaká can walk away from the San Siro if the club fails to qualify for Europe’s top club competition.
Speaking to the newspaper Gazetta dello Sport, Galliani left it up to the Brazilian to decide his future at the end of the current campaign: “Kaká has a contract until 2015. If we don't make the 2014/15 Champions League, he has the option to leave. We hope he doesn't. He'll decide, not us.”
And hours earlier, Orlando City president Philip Rawlins took to Twitter to tell the ex-Real Madrid player: “We’re ready when you are Ricardo”.
AS has learned that the Milan player has a verbal agreement with the Major League Soccer club to move to the United States for Orlando City’s debut MLS campaign, which kicks off in 2015.
A clause in Kaká’s Milan contract allows the 31-year-old to leave the Rossoneri on a free if the Italians do not qualify for the Champions League. Clarence Seedorf’s side currently has 42 points and sits eleventh in Serie A – six points off the European places.
Orlando City is the newest MLS franchise and was bought by Brazilian billionaire Flávio Augusto da Silva. The magnate has a long-standing personal and professional friendship with Kaká, and on Saturday revealed via his Facebook account that there will soon be “big news at Orlando City”.
This weekend, Kaká – who hit a stunning strike against Chievo Verona in his 300th match for Milan – had already declared his desire to go to the MLS at the end of his current spell in Italy. “One day I’d like to play in the United States,” the midfielder told Il Corriere della Sera on Saturday.
After a disappointing four-year stint at Real Madrid, Kaká this season returned to the club where he won the Champions League and the FIFA World Player of the Year award in 2007.
“I don’t regret returning for even a moment,” he said. “The reception I got was even more affectionate than I expected, but the season hasn’t gone as well as expected. But I see the crisis as a chance to grow.”