Real Madrid have stepped up their pursuit of Edinson Cavani. Despite the fact that talks with the players’ representatives have been ongoing for some time (and the fact that reports insist the Uruguayan is set for a move to Chelsea or Manchester City), the Santiago Bernabéu club remains hopeful of completing his signing.
On Monday, ‘Los Blancos’ met for talks with figures close to Cavani, who is currently on international duty as Uruguay prepare for the Confederations Cup (Óscar Tabárez’s men begin their campaign in Brazil against Spain on 16 June). The meeting was scheduled for two weeks ago, but was delayed by José Mourinho’s departure from Madrid, the La Liga side’s so far fruitless search for a replacement and the re-election of Florentino Pérez as president. When it finally took place, Real Madrid began their offensive for the Napoli man.
In an interview from the Uruguayan camp, Cavani said: “I’ve got a contract with Napoli but I’m listening to what other clubs have to say. It would be a pleasure to work with Mourinho [by then confirmed as Chelsea manager]. At this moment in time they haven’t made an offer for me but I’m familiar with the work of Mourinho and other trainers like Pellegrini, for example. Being trained by them one day would be a pleasure.” He continued: “Interest from big clubs is a huge honour for me because it’s something I’ve dreamed about since I was a child. Once the Confederations Cup is over we’ll see what happens.”
Monday began with rumours that the presentation of Mourinho as Chelsea boss would be accompanied by the announcement that the Premier League side had signed the Napoli player. However, this went no further than social media speculation. Nevertheless, leaks coming from sources close to Chelsea revealed on Monday evening that the West London club’s offer would be 45 million euros plus a talented member of their squad. Madrid will be forced to fight hard to secure Cavani’s services, because Mourinho will be intent on his capture.
Reports have also claimed that Cavani is set to arrive at Manchester City. However, the Premier League club are said to have been angered by the player, whose services they believed they had secured weeks ago. In the face of his hesitation in putting pen to paper, City are said to have had second thoughts about his signing.